Photo by Melan Cholia
Everyone has a favorite face cream or beauty treatment, but believe it or not, beautiful skin starts on the inside.
As the largest organ of our body, it needs quite a lot of raw materials to be able to renew itself day in, day out. We rub off millions of skin cells daily and create a whole new layer every 40 days.
Skin Has Many Functions:
Our skin has many functions besides covering our insides:
- Heat regulation by producing sweat when too hot and goose bumps when too cold (hairs provide insulation).
- Protects our internal organs from dehydration, radiation etc.
- It has the ability to absorb certain substances: drugs (HRT/nicotine patches/steroids), fat soluble vitamins, aromatherapy oils and fat-soluble chemicals from cosmetic products. In fact, it takes only 26 seconds to absorb toxins via the skin – faster than if you eat them, so mind what you apply on it!
- Synthesizes Vitamin D pro-vitamin with the sunlight, which turned into Vitamin D by the liver and kidneys.
- The skin is part of the detoxification processes, eliminating some toxins via sweat and oils.
- With sense of touch, pain and temperature it helps to keep us from getting harmed.
Natural solutions for skin conditions
Hormonal imbalances, poor digestion and/or elimination, food allergies, sluggish liver detoxification, immune problems, stress and bad diet can all lead to skin problems. But by eating the correct balance of foods you’ll feed your skin the vital nutrients to help it stay soft, supple and blemish-free, and you’ll support your body to heal and re-balance itself. As Hippocrates said: “Food shall be your medicine, medicine shall be your food”
If you struggle with dry skin, acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis or any other skin problems, you need to support your skin from within. As always, the Functional Medicine approach always starts with a thorough investigation with detailed laboratory tests to find the root of the problem, whatever the health concern may be. We are all very individual: as there are no two snowflakes alike, neither are any two human bodies. Once we found the cause, with a tailor made menu plan and herbal supplement regime your body can be gently ushered back to health – without side effects.